The Netacea Magento integration detects bot activity and performs mitigating actions in line with the client blocking strategy.
Netacea’s Fastly/Magento plugin utilizes the power of Fastly’s Edge computing (provided to Magento customers) to deliver a full-featured, server-side bot management solution, integrated into the existing infrastructure without the need for client-side code changes.
When a visitor first hits a site protected by Netacea/Fastly Magento, the plugin will query the Netacea Protector API service. If the visitor is known to be malicious, the plugin will perform the appropriate mitigation action.
A cookie containing information about the validity of a user is placed on the client’s device for further identification and checked periodically for validity. The plugin will stream log data on the visitor and session to the Netacea Monitor Ingest service where Netacea ’s Detection Engine will perform further analysis to confirm if they are a good actor. This action is done asynchronously so adds no latency to the request. If at any point the visitor’s activity becomes malicious the Netacea Protector API service will be updated and the plugin will perform the appropriate mitigation.
The diagram below and supporting notes explains how traffic flows in this implementation (at a high level).
Fastly/Magento Integration Traffic Flow
- 1.The visitor requests the site protected by Netacea/Fastly Magento.
- 2.The Netacea Fastly Magento plugin will query the Netacea Protector API service to check if the visitor is known to be malicious or safe.
- 3.A copy of the web request is sent as log data for analysis using our collective threat intelligence, machine learning and behavioral analysis to determine if the request is safe.
- 4.Analysis results are published for the Netacea Fastly Magento plugin to read and determine what mitigation strategy should be used for this traffic.
- 5.If the requests are benign, they are passed to the origin as normal.
- 6.If the requests require a mitigation to take place, the appropriate action is taken and served to the client.